Just one of the most essential conclusions you are going to make when changing your home’s roof is the type of roofing shingles you are going to use. There are many distinctive varieties of roofing shingles available, which is why it’s critical to cautiously investigate your selections before building your components choice.
By getting the time to recognize the pros and cons of each roofing sort, you can pick out the shingles that present the appropriate combination of longevity, trustworthiness, and aesthetic appeal for your requires.
Asphalt Shingle Roofs
One particular of the most normally utilised roofing components in the U.S., asphalt shingles are each economical and simple to put in. Because asphalt shingles are made below rigid requirements, they are continuously powerful and adaptable and won’t crack or shatter simply. Asphalt shingles may well even be strengthened with fiberglass or cellulose without the need of altering the shingles’ visual appearance.
- Professionals: Due to their acceptance, asphalt shingles appear accessible in a broad assortment of shades. As 1 of the least expensive roofing elements accessible, asphalt shingles are also extremely economical as opposed to other roofing kinds.
- Downsides: Even though extremely sturdy, asphalt shingles boast a shorter existence span than other roofing forms. In addition, they do not offer the same diploma of insulation other roofing shingles give.
Slate roofs are conveniently recognizable for their unparalleled elegance and unique sophistication. Shades of black, environmentally friendly, gray, purple, and purple marry alongside one another perfectly for a roof which is attractive, modern, and powerful. Able of long lasting up to 100 yrs with small upkeep, slate roofs are incredibly durable and resistant to even the most complicated components, these types of as fireplace.
- Professionals: These roofing forms are comprised of slate rock and give superior longevity and fire resistance. On top of that, slate roofs give the best diploma of sustainability as the materials can be recycled very easily.
- Downsides: Slate is one of the most costly roofing resources but is perfectly worth the investment decision for the value extra to your home. Each individual square is really hefty, so set up commonly involves further framing and can be quite sophisticated with out the suitable roofer.
Clay & Concrete Tile Roofs
If you’re looking to include texture and class to your rooftop, clay and concrete tile may be the alternative for you. Accessible in flat, ribbed, and scalloped configurations, clay tiles are extremely long lasting even so, they can be very large and complicated to install.
Though concrete tiles are also heavy and call for qualified set up, they offer you higher flexibility and are much less high priced than their authentic clay counterparts.
- Execs: The two clay and concrete tiles are incredibly tough and resistant to fireplace. Concrete tiles, in distinct, also provide significant vitality effectiveness to guard towards thermal transfer in your property.
- Drawbacks: Because each of these tiles are so heavy, installation can be tricky with out the proper team by your side. Added framing is usually essential to put in these roofing supplies.
Typically manufactured of rubber and plastic, artificial roofing has recently grown in attractiveness. Synthetic roofs are designed to mimic the aesthetic of other roofing varieties, this kind of as slate or wood. Powerful, simple to preserve, and typically fireplace-resistant, synthetic shingles offer an ideal option for just about any home.
- Professionals: Because synthetic roofing components are not as fragile or major as their authentic counterparts, they are normally simpler to put in, less pricey, and far more tough. They are also designed of 95% recycled materials, so they are the most eco-pleasant choice.
- Negatives: It’s crucial to pick a superior-quality synthetic roofing company, as some of these roofs can be prone to drinking water absorption.
Wood Shingle & Shake Roofs
For hundreds of decades, homeowners have relied on wooden shingles and shakes to weather the outdoor features, and it is a single of the most frequent roofing supplies in Virginia. The most important change between the two is that wood shakes are handmade and rougher-lower than wood shingles, which are typically equipment-cut. Due to the fact wood is a flammable content, it’s significant to look for Class A hearth-rated wooden roofing when browsing for the suitable components for your roof replacement venture.
- Professionals: Giving a rustic aesthetic, wood shingles are normally manufactured from all-natural solutions, these kinds of as white cedar, redwood, or cypress — ideal for Virginia owners.
- Downsides: Improperly maintained wooden shingles can direct to mold expansion, splitting, or wood rot.
Permit Past Exteriors Support You Pick the Greatest Roofing Shingles for Your Northern Virginia Residence
Deciding upon the ideal roofing products for your roof substitution project can be hard if you are uncertain what to search for. Luckily, Over and above Exteriors has the professional roofers you will need to support make the appropriate final decision for your property.
From asphalt and slate to synthetic and concrete tile roofing, our workforce is happy to offer the best quality components from the industry’s most trusted companies.
Permit our crew to help you make the suitable decision for your roof by calling (703) 830-0863 to request a roof replacement estimate right now!